NextEra Energy Services Teams Up with AutoGrid to offer New Demand Response Programs in PJM
Programs inform customers about peak demand periods and high electricity prices, providing them opportunities to slightly adjust energy consumption to significantly reduce their energy costs.
HOUSTON, Texas & REDWOOD CITY, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–NextEra Energy Services, a leading residential and commercial electricity services provider, and AutoGrid Systems, the Energy Internet leader, today introduced two new demand response programs for commercial and industrial customers located in PJM markets. NextEra Energy Services is offering ControlComm powered by AutoGrid’s enterprise grade, intelligent, and highly scalable Demand Response Optimization & Management System. The platform provides business customers opportunities to lower their energy bills by adjusting their energy consumption manually or with an automated solution, during times of peak energy demand or high wholesale electricity prices.
The demand response programs available to NextEra Energy Services customers include:
- Real-Time Price Response (RTPR): This program enables NextEra Energy Services’ customers on a fixed price product to voluntarily reduce electricity usage when real-time market prices for electricity are high for at least an hour and are forecasted to stay high for a few hours in the future. Customers who choose to reduce their electricity usage below a calculated baseline during such periods will get paid based on the duration and corresponding market prices of electricity during their curtailment.
- 5 Peak Load Contribution (5PLC): The 5PLC program enables participants to lower their energy bills by reducing electric usage during any or all of the five highest 15-minute PJM peak events that occur in June, July, August and September. Customers that participate in the program and voluntarily reduce their electric usage during these events can reduce their demand the following year. NextEra Energy Services provides a daily notification and rolling five-day forecast to customers to plan for anticipated 5PLC peaks in the PJM market.
Customers can choose to manually participate in all these programs or automate some or all of their participation by connecting their energy assets — building management systems, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems, lighting systems, backup generators, uninterruptible power supply, and energy storage systems — to NextEra Energy Services ControlComm, the online demand response platform powered by AutoGrid.
“Our introduction of these programs in PJM provides our customers with an easy way to modify energy consumption to reduce their energy costs. With AutoGrid we are leveraging technology to enable customers to develop intelligent curtailment plans using forecasts developed with advanced analytics and the latest market information,” said Brian Landrum, President NextEra Energy Services. “These new demand response programs, along with our existing energy efficiency, renewable energy and other energy services, help our customers implement smart energy strategies that meet their business objectives.”
“These intelligent, automated demand response programs enable NextEra Energy Services customers to maximize their demand response program energy savings without impacting their operations,” said Dr. Amit Narayan, CEO of AutoGrid. “From accurate event forecasting, and an easy-to-use portal, to automated response to events, these demand response programs provide customers with the tools they need to simply and effectively monetize their energy flexibility.”
Demand Response Tailored to Meet the Needs of C&I Customers
NextEra Energy Services ControlComm provides customers with a superior experience throughout the demand response program lifecycle – from enrollment and device provisioning, to energy use and load shed analysis, to personalized notifications and timely customer feedback. The NextEra Energy Services ControlComm platform features:
- Hassle Free Automation: ControlComm integrates grid operator demand response event signals directly into its system, and also features support for OpenADR and other demand response communications standards, enabling customers to choose their level of automation — be it manual, semi-automated or fully automated.
- Powerful Forecasting and Analytics: ControlComm features built-in forecasting algorithms which use advanced machine learning technology to provide more accurate forecasts of when demand response events are likely to be scheduled, helping customer’s better plan for demand response events while minimizing unnecessary alerts.
- Deep Customer Engagement: ControlComm gives customers the ability to analyze historical, interval energy data, delivering them personalized notifications on cost-savings opportunities via email or the ControlComm customer portal.
NextEra Energy Services ControlComm is also available to customers located in Texas offering a suite of demand response products optimized for the ERCOT market
About NextEra Energy Services
NextEra Energy Services (Delaware PSC Docket No. 08-127, District of Columbia License Order No. 14227, Illinois Docket No. 06-0776, Maryland License Reference Number IR-966, New Jersey License No. ESL-0014, Ohio Certificate Number 08-145(1), Pennsylvania Docket No. A-2008-2060044)), a wholly-owned subsidiary of NextEra Energy Resources, provides affordable residential and commercial electricity services. NextEra Energy Services’ family of retail companies serve residential and commercial customers in 14 U.S. states and the District of Columbia, and have been providing residential electricity services in the Northeast since 2011. For more information, visit www.nexteraenergyservices.com/solutions.
About AutoGrid Systems
AutoGrid builds software applications that enable a smarter Energy Internet. The company’s suite of Energy Internet applications allows utilities, electricity retailers, renewable energy project developers and energy service providers to deliver cheap, clean and reliable energy by managing networked distributed energy resources (DERs) in real time and at scale. AutoGrid applications are all built on the AutoGrid Energy Data Platform (EDP), with patented Predictive Controls™ technology that leverages petabytes of smart meter, sensor and third-party data, along with powerful data science and high-performance computing algorithms, to monitor, predict, optimize and control the operations of millions of assets connected across global energy networks.
The world’s leading energy companies, including E.ON, Bonneville Power Administration, Florida Power & Light, Southern California Edison, Eneco, Portland General Electric, CPS Energy, New Hampshire Electric Cooperative, NextEra Energy and CLEAResult, are using AutoGrid’s software to improve their operations, integrate renewables and drive deeper engagement with their customers. AutoGrid has been recognized with several prestigious industry awards including Bloomberg New Energy Pioneer 2016, World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer 2015, Red Herring Top 100 North America 2015, Industrial Innovation Company of the Year by the Cleantech Group and Green Product of the Year by the BIG Awards for Business Programs.
Eastwick for AutoGrid
Jason Brown, +1 646-780-5193